Friday, May 15, 2009

I confess I am guilty

Today, after almost 10 years of being a driver, I was in my first proper car accident.
Or to tell the truth, I was the sole guilty party in my first car accident.

BBBOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

CRUNCH!

&*%^&#@!!!!

I do not know exactly where my mind was at the moment, because I had both hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road, but obviously my brain was somewhere on a different planet... The cars waiting to go around the mini circle were standing all quietly in a row minding their own business (just have to say, there is not usually a queue of cars at this specific mini circle around 17h00 the afternoon) and here comes Mrs Sleepyhead in her huge car, over the crest of the little hill, probably around 50km/h...
and
BOOM!
When I realised that the car in front of me was standing completely still I was about 3m away. I did not even turn the wheel to attempt evasive action, just floored the brakes and felt how all my hair were standing on end.

Shame, the poor guy in the little Tata Indica.

Expletives poured from his mouth, think he was shocked beyond words (I would have been!) and I just kept apologising, shame, poor guy, surely he thinks I have lost it completely. He was SO extremely nice after the shock wore off, just kept saying sorry for his rude words...

A good learning experience.
Try to get enough sleep even if you feel a bit manic in the middle of the night.
Know what to do at the scene (what information to gather and how to stay calm).
Forgive the poor innocent victim for the string of #$%@! that he uttered.
And last but not least, remember how much worse it could have been.

I am not usually the kind of person who will laugh in a serious situation, but I could not help thinking my version of 'always look on the bright side'...:

Toyota Fortuner 1 - Tata Indica 0.

No comments: