Thursday, May 14, 2009

I love my job... do you?

This was a hectic week. And it is not over yet.
But I passed my diploma, and now I can (on days that I feel... well... 'braggy') write under my signature a double qualification. Oh, the feeble pleasures of the human mind... ;)
I also survived my Wednesday-big-scary-academic-presentation and the prof who supervised me (self-confessed OCD?) did not allow me to answer a single question afterwards - she did it all herself. So I don't think I really made any impression. And the topic was,
wait for it...
B O R I N G !!!
(sorry to the nerve-interested souls out there but neuro it NOT my favourite of subjects...)

I also survived my first few days in the new ward/rotation, working in general paeds now and quite surprised by how sick the kids get. SEVERE kwashiorkor especially - I haven't seen so many kwashi babies in a long time. It is scary.
I am missing oncology and missing the hugs and smiles and playful athmosphere, but I surprisingly get the feeling like I may actually enjoy the general ward. I haven't worked in general paeds in a long time (not since my Tembisa days).

I also got a introductory (practice) case to my research project that ended up keeping me busy for almost the whole morning. Interesting work, although quite morbid, but hopefully my reseach will actually make a difference, compared to many MMed research projects looking at figures and counting statistics but never really giving back to the patient population.

All in all at the moment I find my work to be satisfying, stimulating and rewarding. Not many people working on the wrong end of town can say the same! :)

No comments: