Sunday, April 19, 2009

The flame still flickers

Ten days after saying a 'final' goodbye she is still breathing. On Thursday there was a short moment when she actually held my hand and squeezed it a bit. And for a few optimistic seconds I could feel hope swelling in my chest and nudging the corners of my mouth in the direction of an almost-smile...
But today she was convulsing again, focal (one-sided) convulsions, probably due to the ominous disease slowly destroying her being. And I held her hand, once again, stroked her fingers, tried to will her into knowing that I am there. And that, even when I am not there - even when no-one is with her, she is never alone. And that she should not be scared to let go. I believe that in the Place she is going to she will find happiness, be reunited with her parents, and finally be able to forget about the pain and the nightmares.
So we are still waiting for the final farewell.

No comments: